Thursday 11 September 2014

Chillin in Byron Bay

Hopped on a plane for a short flight from Sydney to Byron Bay,  a quiet chilled out surfing town.  Australia's most easterly point.  It's absolutely gorgeous here, the people are wonderful and super friendly and the scenery is amazing. 

We seem to be communicating quite well these Aussie folk and I... only once have I not understood someone.  Concentration is key and keeping in mind how the conversation would flow is the trick.  Ive learned a few new words.  A schooner is a beer inbetween a sleeve and a pint.  A sleeve is a midi.  A hoodie is a jumpa.  A toque is a beanie and they think toque is a ridiculous word.  Sometimes I am misunderstood lol.  I've been mistook for an American twice and an honest mate told me I didn't have a predictable Canadian accent.

I got into the water for the first time today in a kayak for a beautiful cruise around the bay with dolphins and humpback whales in the distance.  Unfortunately there was a shark attack the day after I got here which I was just too close to.  Ever since I've been land bound hiking from beach to beach.  Crazy how much one moment can make you reevaluate your priorities.   I never worked up the courage to surf after that moment plus the beaches were closed for three days. The kayaking today was exelurating and I did get in the water and play around in the surf.  It was wonderful.

I'm gonna enjoy a few schooners as a reward for all my hard paddling today.  I will keep you informed as to what tomorrow holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment