Monday 31 March 2014

Shady train deals

Well it's one difference we've noticed for sure from four years ago is how much more busy it is.  Including the train... even though we were booking in advance we still couldn't land ourselves in a sleeper car.  Grr.  Setting ourselves up for a long train ride from Hanoi to Hue (ended up being fifteen hours and left an hour late), we board coach three and sit down in our respective seats.  They are a class below what we've the paid for and Missy's seat is wet, great start.  The girls make themselves comfortable, Missy using a plastic bag to protect her from said unknown wetness and fall asleep.  I stay awake playing games on my phone.  The train rocking me gently but definitely not to sleep. 

Just after midnight (about two hours after departure) a young man approaches me with an inquisitive look.   He's wearing a train attendant's uniform and thinking he's asking about my current level of candy crush I proudly show him my phone screen.  He smiles and whispers, "Where are you going?"  "Um, Hanoi" I reply.  He looks side to side and asks, "You want to sleep in a bed?"  At this point Missy and Ang have awoken and are looking at us confused.  "No, thanks, we are four," I decline.  "I know, I have four beds in car five, 200 000 dong each" says he.  I look at Missy who is shrugging and nodding at the same time, she does have a wet seat after all.  I go check out the room telling the girls I will be back in 5 min.  Situation seems legit, seems like each coach has its own company and/or operator.  He's just looking to make a few bucks on a no show or vacated room (although he does kick one women out when I arrive to take up next door).  He assures me we have the room to ourselves all the way to Hanoi.  I return to the girls to find out not only has Kimberly not awakened during the whole discussion but is also now sleeping beside a complete stranger who has taken up residence in my seat.  We girls discuss the situation and decide yes, Ang checks out the room with me and then her and Kim ferry the bags across two cars as I stand guard in the new room and Missy in car three.  All settled in we are all pleased and speak proudly of our good fortune.  Bonus, car six's washrooms are discovered as wonderfully clean!  We fall fast asleep at last comfy on our beloved train ride.  In the end paying less for our beds then if we had booked them lol.

We arrive in Hanoi well rested and as Kim would say, feeling quite chuft with our deal we brokered.  The next few days are filled with good food, hectic non stop city life, coffee and bia hoi.  Hello Hanoi,  I've missed you so.

1 comment: