Tuesday 12 April 2016

A close shave in Delhi

Killing time in Delhi while waiting for Tet, Vietnamese new year, to be over lead us to discover some parts we never would have had time for.  Like wandering amongst the mainy alleyways filled with curious things.  Sometimes we did an about face as people or dogs would gather in packs around us but for the most part enjoyed adventuring.  One turn brought us past a barbershop with a picture of a half shaved head with a cool design.  On impulse I went straight in pointing at the photo  and was told 'no problem'.  Making sure not to have anything else done besides the shaved bit I allowed the barber to proceed.  Little did I know the entire thing would be accomplished with scissors and a straight razor.   I'm not gonna lie, the straight razor made me nervous but he had one steady hand.  Upon completion of the initial shave he wanted to know my name and how to spell it.  Why does this matter?  I'm about to type it into his phone when he shows me photos of people with their names carved into their heads in the shaved part.  Hehe, no thanks, just a design will do.  And no I don't need my face massaged or bleached, phew, dodged that uncomfortable bullet.  Completed, I hand over 400 rupee, about $8 CAD, and head back out into the alleyways.  Moments later a compliment is thrown my direction concerning my new hair cut.
Why thankyou sir.
'Where did you get it done?'
Just down the alley actually, I say grinning ear to ear.
'No', he replied with a head bobble, 'Not possible.  Really?'

No comments:

Post a Comment