Friday 17 January 2014

Terracotta Rain

Hoi An has been good to us this past week. A wonderfully romantic city with quiet streets lit up by lanterns and amazing dining experiences.  Days have been spent eating, reading, biking, spa treatments, beaching visiting tailor shops and generally relaxing. We were blessed with a visit from Katie Nix for a few days during which we had a great time eating, drinking and laughing. My favorite time being the terracotta lantern pinata that Katie convinced me to take a swing at and paid for me to have a turn (5000 dong or 25 cents).  Given a stick and  a mask, you are placed ten feet in front of the hanging lantern. Then as you begin to navigate your way blindly several men yell madly at you and play loud music to throw you off. With Kim and Katies coaching I managed to swing hard and true and smash that lantern to bits raining terracotta all over my head.  Rewarded with a yellow silk lantern I was quite pleased with myself.  Even more pleased when we passed by a food vendor selling corn on the cob on the next corner.  Jackpot!  She slathers it in a green and red chili sauce and roasts it over her hot coal bbq. Delicious. Not a sweet corn, more like maize but the chilis are sooo good. First the lantern smashing, now the corn... I am so damn content. Amazing start to an evening.

Unfortunately the weather is not cooperating with Hoi An and I have just broken the news to our laundry/convenience store lady Mrs. Giua that we are leaving for Ho chi minh tomorrow.  I thought she was gonna cry. 'That is not happy news' she says. I promised her we will be back soon because we don't really want to go... its heaven here. For now we are going to chase the sun. Even the locals are complaining about how cold and rainy it is (sure does sound cool when it rains though).  We'll be back soon Hoi An, we love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment